1947 Events & Facts
- President Truman formulates "Truman Doctrine" of providing aid to countries whose governments are threatened with overthrow
- U.S. Secretary of State George Marshall calls for a European recovery effort, popularly called the "Marshall Plan."
- India and Pakistan proclaimed independent nations
- Britain nationalizes its coal industry
- Britain’s Princess Elizabeth marries Phillip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh
BUSINESS & ECONOMY:
- Congress passes Taft-Hartley Act, restricting labor unions
- Henry Ford dies, leaving behind a fortune of over $600 million
- Americans are able to purchase the first new cars manufactured since the beginning of World War II
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY:
- First airplane to break the speed of sound
- Thor Heyerdahl sails from Peru to Polynesia on a raft to prove theory of human migration
- Transistor invented at Bell Laboratories
- Holography invented
- "Broad spectrum" antibiotic introduced to fight typhus
- World Series:New York Yankees over Brooklyn, 4-3 (first televised World Series)
- Jackie Robinson becomes the first African-American player in a major league baseball team (Brooklyn Dodgers)
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT:
- Movies: Gentleman’s Agreement
- TV Shows: Kraft Television Theatre, Small Fry Club (programming limited to approximately 18 hours per week)
- Books:Doktur Faustus, Thomas Mann; The Diary of Anne Frank; I, the Jury, Mickey Spillaine
- House Un-American Activities Committee begins investigating alleged Hollywood ties to communism
- Tennessee Williams’ A Streetcar Named Desire wins Pulitzer Prize
- The "New Look" of long, full skirts becomes the rage of female fashion
- Over 1 million veterans enroll in college through the G.I. Bill
- First food processors
- Inventor Earl Tupper invents Tupperware, and with it the "Tupperware party," a unique way of marketing the products directly to homemakers
- North America and Europe both experience severe winters. New York is hit with 28 inches of snow (Dec. 17), while Britain has its harshest winter in over 50 years
- First documented sightings of "flying saucers"
- Drive-in theatres become a booming industry
Daily Boomer News
- Baby Boomers And Marijuana: Blunts Over Booze Is The Newest Trend
Marijuana has become a highly accepted legalization movement by teens across America, and now baby boomers are joining in as they return to lighting “spliffs” over enjoying a few drinks after work. Most baby boomers gave up marijuana as they ventured into their careers, but after a wave of acceptance and legalization’s across the United [...] Baby Boomers And Marijuana: Blunts Over Booze Is The …
- Retiring baby boomers are selling their small businesses
Baby boomers preparing for retirement are driving a surge in small business sales, as they find more and more buyers confident enough in the improving economy to expand their own businesses through acquisitions.In the first three months of this year, the number of sales that closed jumped 56 percent from the same time in 2012, according to BizBuySell.com, an online marketplace for small busine …
- Health care costs push off baby boomers' retirement plans
Health care costs push off baby boomers' retirement plans
- Retiring boomers are ready to sell
NEW YORK — Baby boomers preparing for retirement are driving a surge in small-business sales, as they find more and more buyers confident enough in the improving economy to expand their own businesses through acquisitions.
- RI urges baby boomers to get Hepatitis C test
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island's health department is encouraging baby boomers to get tested for Hepatitis C, saying adults born between 1945 and 1965 are five times more likely to contract the disease.
- Retiring Boomers Sell Their Businesses
Baby boomers preparing for retirement are driving a surge in small business sales.
© 2011 Babyboomers.com. Powered by Wordpress.