1950 Events & Facts
- North Korea invades South Korea; U.N. forces arrive to counter the invasion, but are forced to withdraw. President Truman declares state of emergency after Communist China becomes involved in the conflict.
- Communist Chinese forces occupy Tibet
- Senator Joseph McCarthy warns of communist infiltration of State Department
- Failed assassination attempt on President Truman by Puerto Rican nationalists
- Congress passes laws that restrict communists and communist parties in the U.S.
- Accused communist spy Alger Hiss convicted of perjury
- National Council of Churches formed
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY:
- Antihistamines become popular as cold relief medications
- New York’s Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel opens
- World Series: New York Yankees over Philadelphia, 4-0
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT:
- Movies: Sunset Boulevard, All About Eve
- Songs: A Bushel and a Peck, Good Night Irene, Mona Lisa, C’est Si Bon
- TV Shows: Arthur Godfrey and Friends, Lux Video Theatre, Fred Waring Show, Your Show of Shows, Your Hit Parade, Fireside Theatre
- Books: The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury; Across the River and Into the Trees, Ernest Hemmingway; Darkness at Noon, Sidney Kingsley; The Way West, A.B. Guthrie, Jr.
- "Cool jazz" gains popularity
- Guys and Dolls premieres
- George Bernard Shaw dies
- TV hero Hopalong Cassidy peaks in popularity
- 14 million television sets sold in U.S., increasing the number in service by ten-fold
© 2011 Babyboomers.com. Powered by Wordpress.