I literally woke up one morning at the age of 45 and was shocked by what I saw in the mirror. I had been looking in the mirror prior to this but I was not seeing myself very clearly. A good fashion sense can hide a lot.
1. My stomach was very bloated
2. My hips were larger than I had ever seen them.
3. My skin was pale
4. My hair was dry and lifeless
5. I had wrinkles I had never seen before
6. I was overweight
7. I felt as though my life was slipping away from me
8. I felt angry and hopeless all at the same time
I know your first question is how did this happen? I asked the same thing. Reflecting back on my lifestyle I was doing a great deal of travelling with my fashion agency at the time. I was not eating properly. I definitely was not exercising or meditating.
THIS WAS MY WAKE UP CALL!
1. I put together a schedule so that I could fit in meditation and exercise.
2. I started making healthier choices with respect to food.
3. I went to see my doctor to see where my thyroid levels were.
And thus began my journey into Menopause….
I have been there; I have survived it, feeling better than I did at 45 and knowing I look better. I embody a woman at the age of 64 who has more energy than you can imagine. This enables me to keep up with my grandchildren. In fact, the other day I was skipping rope with my granddaughter! It was “awesome” as we sang a song that I used to sing when I was her age. “Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear Turn Around” – do you remember it? What a gift to be able to do this and not to have to lie down to rest afterwards. We then went bike riding….
I encourage you to take control of your life at whatever age you are now. It is never too late!
You can start meditating today!
Six Benefits of Meditation:
1. Improved Digestion: When are bodies are in stress our digestion is compromised and we do not assimilate and digest our food. However, when our bodies are relaxed and calm we eat more slowly and digest our food properly.
2. Improved Eating Habits: When we are stressed we tend to eat unconsciously which of course can add to poor eating habits and Weight Gain. However, when we are relaxed and eat consciously we make the right food choices, and, we can actually lose weight.
3. Improved Energy Levels: When we are under a great deal of pressure and stress we find that we are very tired and low in energy. However, when we are not stressed, we have more energy to do the things that we want to do and may actually find ourselves exercising more, which in turn leads to a healthier body.
4. Improved Concentration and Reduced Anxiety: When we are stressed we tend to forget things, our thinking is slower and not clear and we make a great deal of mistakes, which leads to anxiety. However, when we are calm and relaxed our concentration is improved, we can do more work in a shorter period of time and we do not experience anxiety.
5. Improved Sleep: When we are stressed we do not sleep well, in fact we really do not fall into a deep sleep because our minds are still active and we wake up feeling tired. However, when we are not stressed we sleep soundly and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day in a positive way.
6. Improved Relationships: When we are stressed we tend to be angry and take out our negative feelings on others. However, when we are not stressed we have the ability to think before we speak and to ignore many things that would usually bother us, thus improving our relationships with others.
How to Schedule a Ten Minute Meditation Break:
1. Schedule the time of day that most suits your schedule to meditate, it maybe morning, afternoon or evening.
2. Set your cellphone or clock for ten minutes.
3. Sit on a comfortable chair.
4. Take a deep breath in through your nose and then out through your mouth, do this five times.
5. Take three short breaths in through your nose and then three short breaths out through your mouth, do this ten times.
6. In your mind start counting from one to ten and then ten to one, this will keep you centered and focused while allowing you to move into a state of relaxation.
7. When the alarm goes off it is time to stop.
8. Check to see how you feel.
Leslie Traill, founder of “Sexy Over Sixty,” is a pioneer in the field of life coaching and personal empowerment. A sought after speaker, Certified NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) Practitioner/Coach and Counsellor, Leslie incorporates a wealth of personal and professional experience into her private sessions and corporate seminars. Alongside a traditional meditation practice, Leslie has developed her own unique form of color meditation. Leslie’s formal training in meditation included many years of immersive study with a Buddhist nun, who herself had studied with Namgyal Rimpoche in Tibet.