A A
RSS

Owning My Age, by Freelance Writer and Baby Boomer Renee Fisher

Wed, Feb 15, 2012

Features, Healthcare, Home, Leisure, Lifestyle, Money

Aside from “You’ve just won the Publisher’s Clearing House Sweepstakes,” most boomers would love to hear, “You don’t look anywhere near your age!”  I, too, used to fit into that category, and for most of my life, I looked a lot younger than I really was.  It was frustrating back in high school and college, when boys wouldn’t talk to me because they thought I was a little kid, and in my twenties when I started teaching and looked not-much-older then my students.  But when I reached my 30s, I began to appreciate my baby looks and by 40, I prided myself on looking 10, or even 15 years younger, than I was.

Then I lost my closest friend to breast cancer when we were both 47. The loss of Miki changed a lot of things for me, and one thing it did was to change the way I saw myself in the aging process.  I couldn’t bring Miki back, but I could declare that I would live for her as well as for myself.  To say that Miki was full of life is an understatement.  To say that she would have filled those unlived years with joy and laughter and love is a certainty. So, if she weren’t around to do it, I would be.  Year after year after year.

It’s been 17 years since Miki’s death, 17 years since I have been on this earth to laugh, to experience joy, to love.  To push the boundaries everyday, just as she would have.  And because of that, each birthday is a joy.  It’s when I declare to the universe, “Look, here’s me, ready to take on another year.  Bring it on!

And another thing happened, as well, when I began to embrace each birthday.  I stopped feeling flattered when people told me how young I looked.  I no longer wanted to be an imitation of any age other than the age I was. If I were a powerful woman, embracing each birthday, then I would be the best example possibly of that age. I remembered back to what Gloria Steinem said on her 50th birthday, when someone told her she looked good for her age. She said, “This is what 50 looks like.”  I didn’t understand back then what a huge, powerful statement that was.  But I understood it after Miki died.

Now, when people tell me how young I look, instead of saying “Wow, thanks,” I said, instead, “I’m (insert age).  Just tell me I’m a beautiful, vibrant example of that age.”

Most people get it, and they shake their heads, smiling, thinking about what that means.  Some obviously don’t get it. I think they feel that they just gave me a beautiful gift and I declined it.  That’s OK.  I gave a gift to myself: immense pride in who and what I am.  I am a beautiful, powerful, and visionary 64 year old.  And that is what my 64 looks like.

9 Responses to “Owning My Age, by Freelance Writer and Baby Boomer Renee Fisher”

1. BoomerWiz says:

Oh I love this post and I am gonna share. You go Renee!

2. Fred Cubero says:

Realty sometimes strikes deep and brings with it new challenges. Part of feeling young is thinking young. Start thinking your old and you will begin to feel old.My father who turned eighty in december continues to think as a younger man and has never lost his interest in life that I’ve seen so many people half his age do. I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet. The gang at the gym cannot believe I’m fifty three. The “you look very young for your age routine” is only adding fuel to the fire. I take it as a compliment and thank them for their positive feed back.I am self motivated and determined to stay young and healthy to the end. Renee I respect your opinion and I’m glad that your a fighter like me. Hope to hear more from you soon.

Fred Cubero
    Baby Boomer

3. Jen Belloso says:

Such beautiful looking food those colors, oh my! It sounds like you guys had a lovely time, I can’t wait to try out some of those recipes.

4. reisingfost says:

Liebo short T-shirt

5. Jim richards says:

Like you I always looked young for my age and experienced the same issues only in reverse. As a teen I looked like a little boy and had to work hard to be taken seriously by girls my own age. As you experienced looking young became an asset later in life.
    I am 60 now and loving it. This age (a birthday I dreaded) brings peace, calm, wisdom, perspective and grandchildren!! Our lives are better for these things – immeasurably better, richer, and from the grandkids we experience unconditional love again – Celebrate the metamorphosis!!!! It brings marvels along with the wrinkles…
    How we look is no longer central to our identity, who we are and how we relate is. We need to honor the accumulation of the years that which has made us, our generation, greater, even those things that involved painful challenges, and failings. Struggling through difficulties is how we developed the resilience and compassion that make us better people and better friends than we were. Owning our age is a step in the right direction – we boomers have altered the mindset of every life stage and are doing so again.

6. reisingfost says:

Simple Beaded One-shoulder Floor-length Mother of the Bride Dress – $240.00 : Professional wedding dresses stores, weddingdresstrend.org

7. reisingfost says:

sassinator you ultimately choose.
    CLUTTER RELATING TO THE STAIRS.As soon as you finish, infiltrate carefully, being sure your baby there is actually nothing left to the stair? tactic to constitute an important safety risk.If the ones you have was your winter ascent, you may just be wondering regarding providing warmth up there.If warmer summer sassinator you ultimately choose.

CLUTTER RELATING TO THE STAIRS.As soon as you finish, infiltrate carefully, being sure your baby there is actually nothing left to the stair? tactic to constitute an important safety risk.If the ones you have was your winter ascent, you may just be wondering regarding providing warmth up there.If warmer summer months, you may just be thinking of the main advantages of an attic ventilating enthusiast.But possibly you visited the top of reaches in your home in the spring as well as fall.On the Pluto-ish region within house, temperatures are usually equable than during the attic.If the summer season has begun propose being very careful nice and also cool.

From that article you’ll find learned a few useful thoughts on cleaning a basements.Swept and even dust the particular attics as well as basements and vacuum cleaned more than twice each year.Clean a window first certainly is the good approach.Get reduce the junks to provide more space for storing of other items which you may not use nowadays.

8. tchristiannew says:

In case your price is barely reason as to why you stop yourself via traveling, then you can find already simple solution.Cheap take a trip companies offer you relatively reduced travel cost as compared to regular travel and leisure agency.An while in the effort to create you closer to your Las vegas travel, these firms would help and help while earning important decisions the trip.While you create deals, you will be assured the have a very good decent yet still cheap day at Las Las vegas.
    Learn how to get cheap Nevada travel?
    Buying a cheap Nevada travel never been so easy.Not to much time ago, touring Las Nevada only ways to contact your current travel agent and have your journey arranged to suit your needs.Wheainment without only tied to plane lottery tickets, the price would surely summarize.So often, traveling is a dream.

Learn how to get cheap Nevada travel?
    Buying a cheap Nevada travel never been so easy.Not to much time ago, touring Las Nevada only ways to contact your current travel agent and have your journey arranged to suit your needs.When all the agent is conducted then you are prompted to go.Nonetheless now, you can find another selection.

Together with the availability in the Internet, all you should do is surf the web.The Internet is known as a rich method to obtain travel sites that offer cheap go Vegas.Google your keywords and pick several low priced travel Nevada travel business enterprise.When you’ve got selected your site, you could get an immediate quote.And in order for you, you can easily already have the funds for the value it recommends.Sign upwards and the following point you fully understand, you are developing Las Las vegas.

As well, for newbie Las Vegas vacationers, it is always advised in order to book your current trip ahead if you can ,.Ask to the cheapest level and decide what you think works miracles for a person.Although websites on the internet offer step-by-step procedure as you schedule your own trip, it is obviously wise to experience a planned vacation in the back of your your thoughts.

What the heck is good with regards to cheap Nevada travel is who’s gives you every one of the options connected with traveling for instance regular Las vegas travel.You may choose the particular schedule of your respective trip, your selected itineraries, and price within your ticket.You can get travel cover with cheap Vegas travel.Now there’s no need to worry regarding the unforeseen payments while savoring the lgts and sounds of the city.

Travel affordable to Nevada.Not only you will realise the extravagance of the city but it’s also possible to experience the particular Vegas- larger than life.

Cheap visit Las Vegas – its’ simple and easy, it’s swift, and it can be cheap.

9. ehafashehtonis says:

Walking is actually a heel-to-toe sort exercise in a way that you should always land with all your weight within your heel in advance of rolling onto the balls in the feet.Then simply, push off considering the ball on your foot just before landing on the heel within your opposite ankle.
    All through the stride, your arms should really be loose in addition to swinging using each stage.Your backside is straight throughout this and a person’s knees are generally bent some sort of tad.Whilst you might talk like merely an inclusive piece of your everyday living.You walk day after day, whether it’s for the car, with the mailbox, or from a shopping shopping center.But what exactly many going for walks hopefuls miss is there’s an true technique concerned.

All through the stride, your arms should really be loose in addition to swinging using each stage.Your backside is straight throughout this and a person’s knees are generally bent some sort of tad.Whilst you walk, your eyes should really be focused immediately ahead, with each of your chin up, your muscles straight, and you just chest pushed forward.

Your stride should really be at a comfortable distance, not too short and a couple days.The suitable stride will certainly conserve your energy and mean you can maintain adequate balance, shape, and accelerate.

The more often moderate pace in a walk is somewhere around 3 mph while a very advanced reasonably competitive walker should chug along for a 5 mph pace.

Many walkers love to perform having weights, whether held with the hands and / or strapped to legs.Well before attempting this, you may want to work up this exercise.Then again, walking with weights can accumulation strength along with endurance.

Usually once the first a couple of weeks of taking on this means of fitness, the master will feel an enlargement in stamina and perchance a loss of fat.

Roads with sidewalks are created for the runner.That way, the master doesn’t face the chance of getting struck by motor vehicles.Under circumstances where sidewalks typically are not present, ensure that you walk relating to the left side of the road this means you are experiencing the oncoming traffic.

Athletic rails usually supplies a smooth surface for those walker, but when accomplishing, be innovative to some.Be guaranteed to walk about the lanes.The medial side lanes are typically reserved intended for joggers not to mention sprinters so the slower a person’s pace, the further outside just be.